Sunday, June 24, 2007

Dare You to Move

Right after MS graduation, I fell into some kind of personal slump. The feeling of not knowing what to do after you’ve accomplished a milestone. I’ve felt that many times when I finished a big project. It’s a “now what” feeling I’m sure most of you’ve felt at some point. Project management authors write about this dilemma all the time. Employee motivation experiences a huge drop after a project ends and the team disbands. But ‘nuff about the management aspect. Let’s talk about me (the seemingly underlying purpose of blogs to serve our own egos…talk talk talk about ourselves).

Going back to my subject, the personal slump I was talking about. Before I graduated, I purposed myself that when I get the free time, I’ll learn lots of new stuff – cook, speak Korean, speak Japanese, speak Chinese, self-study psychology, read books. I even checked out classes on basic auto mechanic. I’m on my way to becoming a true renaissance woman.

Three months after graduation…

I’ve lots of time but nowhere near crossing anything out on my post-graduation-to-do list. I’m more of the sit-on-the-couch, eat-go-on-Grey’s Anatomy marathon-sleep-walk-around-the-house-sleep kind of woman. (Darn Grey's Anatomy is sooo bad influence).

I do want to get out of this personal stagnation stage and jumpstart my interest on things I previously cared about. I just can’t find the effort. I’m too comfy lying on the couch.

I know I can’t sit on my as$ for a prolonged period of time. Opportunities would pass me by if I don’t do something about it right NOW. Man I’d hate having the opportunity stare right into my face a few years from today, but I can’t grab on to it just because I’ve been so complacent today.

Writing about it’s the first step. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

And I do.

Jim Collins’ premise on his book (Good to Great) said “companies cannot be great because they’re already good.” The enemy of greatness is mediocrity. Mediocre people become obsolete.

To whom much has been given, much is required. And indeed I have been blessed with so much that I can't ask for anything (no, not even an iPhone or a Vaio laptop). Peace, joy, emotional healing, assurance of my future, relationships, talents (in that order).

I’ve been getting things my whole life. There’s the persistent call to give something back. To learn something and share it with the other people who needs to be blessed with what I have (and I’m not talking about money).

I can’t promise myself that tomorrow OC-Quay will be back, planning and plowing down every goal she can get her hands on. But I’ll do try to move again, little things, one day at a time. Better to be moving slowly than to be standing still.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home